I'm taking a break from my more recent mid century pieces (they require more attention, prep, coats of paint, etc) and did this piece with homemade chalk paint. It is a beautifully made simple chest of drawers with a solid wood top, similar to the Boy Blue Chest I did last year. To contrast the black paint and red tones of the original wood stain, I sanded the top to the raw wood and put two coats of Varathane Satin Polyurethane on it. Wood in its raw state is my favorite. In fact, the hard wood floors under this piece were sealed with Bona Mega Waterbased Hardwood Floor Finish which doesn't yellow like oil based finishes. Our entire house is covered in these floors and we love them. Lesson Learned If you're new to my blog, you'll notice in my last three posts that if I have learned a lesson from trial and error, I share it. The lesson learned with this piece is to try household bleach to rid wood of deeply embedded stains. I started out by sanding the top with an orbital sander. The original red stain was difficult to sand out so I brushed undiluted bleach on and left it for several minutes then wiped off and cleaned it with a borax and hot water solution. That took care of the problem! This piece is available in my etsy shop. The artwork was given to me by a very talented friend who is a color consultant. Thanks Rebecca!
Linking up to: Miss Mustard Seed