Sometimes it feels criminal to paint the wood. Solution? Show a bit of skin and incorporate that into the design. That's what the stripes achieve on this petite mid century dresser. The rough look in those areas is intentional. It reveals the process... you can feel the hand working the sand paper and scraper on those drawer fronts. Sometimes it's more important to show the beauty of process rather than beauty of the finished product.
How I did it. 1. The frame was primed with an oil-based primer then painted with Benjamin Moore Advance paint (the best for a smooth finish). It's my favorite paint for mid century pieces. 2. The drawer fronts were also primed but with a water-based primer. Then I sanded and scraped the top portion of the drawer fronts. 3. Those areas were taped off with Frog Tape before I painted the neutral tan color.
Before This piece was originally painted a deep purple for a staging company. Although people showed interest in it, it didn't sell... the purple color and lotus design was just a tad too style-specific. So last week, I started over and painted it neutral. As the paint was drying, a customer contacted me with the need for a MCM dresser. I emailed a picture of this piece which she liked. It was picked up on Saturday.
or on Facebook.