I've been dabbling in greens and blues this month. Using paint that was on the shelf in the workshop, I mixed variations of the greens found all around us in the summer time. I used the same green base for these two projects in this post but was able to get two distinct shades of the color by mixing different amounts of blue into the green base.
M O S S G R E E N E N D T A B L E S
PAINT AND PROCESS
Mixed Benjamin Moore Dragonfly with a bit of Behr Opera Glasses to get a deep mossy shade. After the paint dried, I distressed them then wiped them down with Minwax Dark Walnut stain to produce the deep rich tones in the greens. Underneath, I painted a shade of pink. You can see glimpses of it in the distressed areas. They were sealed using Varathane Polyurethane in satin using my favorite applicator, a 6" foam roller.
D R A G O N F L Y G R E E N D R E S S E R
PAINT AND PROCESS
Mixed Benjamin Moore Dragonfly with much more Behr Opera Glasses than was mixed for the moss green end tables to get a brighter green. After the paint dried, I heavily distressed them to reveal the previously painted white dresser (something I usually don't like to do but I liked the casual effect that the white brought to the design). Then it was wiped them down with Minwax Dark Walnut stain to tone down the green and white. It was sealed using Varathane Polyurethane in satin with a 6" foam roller.
HOW TO REMOVE PAINT FROM ANTIQUE HARDWARE
I bought this dresser although I don't usually purchase previously painted furniture because of the amount of time it usually takes to fix the mistakes that were made. This piece needed lots of sanding and clean up before I started painting. The beautiful antique brass hardware had been painted over so I tried a technique that I had read about on the This Old House website. By simply soaking the hardware in a crock pot with a bit of laundry detergent, the paint slipped off with little scrubbing.
Linking Up: 58 Water Street